It’s tax time and it’s cold! Therefore, there is no better time to review why it’s a good time to buy energy efficient vinyl replacement windows for your home, and get tax credit up to $1,500.
To get in on the energy cost savings, as well as the attractive tax incentives:
* Purchase qualifying windows or doors from Majors Home Improvement, then save your sales receipt and the NFRC/ENERGY STAR label with your tax documents. **
* Have your windows or doors installed between January 1, 2009 and December 31, 2010.
* Claim the tax credit on your federal filing for the 2009 and/or 2010 tax year.
A “qualifying” window or door is one that carries both a U-Factor equal to or less than 0.30 and a Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC) equal to or less than 0.30.
HOW TO READ THE NFRC LABEL:
1. Find Your NFRC Label
It comes in the form of a sticker right on the window, itself. The National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC) is a nonprofit organization who provides energy performance ratings for windows, doors, and skylights. NFRC administers a third party certification and labeling program to provide consumers with verified product rating information.
2. Compare Product Performance
The NFRC label provides standard information on how a window or entryway system performs. NFRC ratings evaluate whole product performance for standard conditions. By reviewing the NFRC label information, consumers can make informed choices. The most important energy ratings are U-factor and Solar Heat Gain Coefficient.
3. Look For The ENERGY STAR® Label
By meeting certain energy performance criteria a product may receive an ENERGY STAR® Designation. For more information about ENERGY STAR® windows, see www.energystar.gov.